The Castrol Alpha™ SP gear oil range of high-quality lubricants are based upon highly refined mineral oil, enhanced with an extreme pressure additive technology providing good thermal stability and high load carrying capacity. The extreme pressure additive system not only provides high load carrying capacity but was designed to provide microscopic wear protection. Microscopic wear protection, also known as micro-pitting protection, is critical in preventing destructive wear at the micro level therefore extending gear life and meeting the evolving demands of smaller and higher output gear boxes.
The Alpha SP range is recommended for the lubrication of industrial gear boxes using forced circulation or splash and oil bath lubrication. They may be used for the lubrication of spur and helical gears and in some lightly loaded worm type gear applications. They have very good viscosity characteristics to ensure starting torques are not excessively high in cold operating conditions. The additives are compatible with the ferrous and non-ferrous metals used in industrial gear units. The Alpha SP range is compatible with the most common types of seal materials.
Product Performance Claims
Specific grades within the Alpha SP range meet the requirements of:
- DIN 51517 Part 3
- AGMA 9005 - E02
- AIST 224
- David Brown S1.53.101 Type E
- SIEMENS MD Rev 13 for Flender Gear Units (ISO VG 150 - 680)
Alpha SP is classified as follows: DIN Classification is CLP
- Extreme Pressure (EP) performance protect gears against wear and shock-loading as measured by FZG performance and demonstrated extensively in the field.
- Alpha SP ‘Clean gear’ additive technology provides low deposit formation
- Good water separation and demulsification
- High protection against corrosion and wear