What Are the 4 Types of Hydraulic Fluid?

What Are the 4 Types of Hydraulic Fluid?

Nov 7th 2022

Supporting your heavy-duty equipment with the correct hydraulic fluids can make or break your ability to run smooth operations. Additionally, without the proper fluids, your system is at risk of costly damages that can ultimately hinder progress or cause an overall system failure. Here, we discuss the various types of hydraulic fluids available to ensure you can meet the needs of your equipment.

Petroleum-Based Hydraulic Fluids

Petroleum-based fluids are one of the most reliable hydraulic lubricators that significantly increase the performance of your machinery and product outcomes. The exact benefits of petroleum-based fluids can vary based on their composition, but typically you can expect to experience improved rust resistance, decreased foaming, and enhanced lubrication.

It is essential to note that this type of hydraulic fluid is highly combustible, which makes safety a top priority for all who handle this flammable material.

Water-Based Hydraulic Fluids

There are two types of water-based hydraulic fluids: water-oil emulsions and water glycols. A water-oil emulsion type is the most affordable fire-resistant fluid and is roughly 35 percent water and 65 percent oil. This ratio creates an oil-continuous cycle and, when combined with other additives, stabilizes and emulsifies the liquids.

A water glycol hydraulic fluid is glycol mixed with water. It is about 40 percent water-glycol, leaving the other 60 percent to additives that provide superior viscosity and corrosion prevention. Because of the presence of water, this fluid is also cooling and fire-resistant.

However, the waters evaporate more rapidly from water-based hydraulic fluids, so it’s vital to perform routine checks and monitor the progression of the chemical composition in the system.

Synthetic Blend Hydraulic Fluids

Synthetic blended hydraulic fluids are most applicable in high-temperature scenarios. This chemical composition is fire-resistant and offers extremely smooth viscosity levels for maximum lubrication.

It is worth noting that it is not environmentally friendly and does not mesh well with sealing materials such as nitrile.

Biodegradable Hydraulic Fluids

Biodegradable hydraulic fluids are industry-leading and pollute less. This type of hydraulic fluid is an eco-friendly alternative that runs off soybean, rapeseed, or sunflower oil. So in the event of oil leaks or hose failures, biodegradable hydraulic fluids pose less risk while performing similarly to a mineral blend fluid.

Santie Oil Company is a leading heavy equipment hydraulic fluids supplier offering supreme quality lubrication for all systems in need. Partner with us today to ensure your equipment runs smoothly with the best-matched fluids.