UCON™ Quenchant HT is a nonflammable polymeric quenchant manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company. It is an aqueous solution of a liquid organic polymer and acorrosion inhibitor.
The organic polymer is soluble in water and produces a homogenous solution. At temperatures above 88°C (190°F), however, the polymer separates from water as an insoluble phase
When hot metal is quenched in a diluted solution of UCON Quenchant HT, a film of the liquid organic polymer is deposited on the surface of the hot metal. The rate at which the metal is cooled is governed, in part, by the thickness the polymer rich film. The thickness of this film is controlled by the concentration of UCON Quenchant HT in the quench bath.
The cooling rate is also controlled by adjusting the quench bath temperature and/or the rate of agitation.
The major difference between UCON Quenchant HT and other UCON Quenchants is the higher separation temperature of the former.
This provides greater flexibility in the selection of initial bath temperature and in the permissible run-out temperature during the quench cycle.
- The broader temperature range for UCON Quenchant HT makes it adaptable to batch type integral quench furnaces. However, because of variations in equipment design, each installation will require individual attention to provide satisfactory performance.
- UCON Quenchant HT is readily adapted to induction hardening, both spray quench and immersion, for such items as gears, crankshafts, camshafts, and other pieces of intricate geometry and different metallurgy.
- UCON Quenchant HT may follow either oxidizing or protective atmosphere furnaces of shaker, rotary or continuous design. It may be used for direct quenching from the forge; for continuous cast quenching; and for general hardening of forged and cast steels, and cast irons.
- FM Approvals has classified UCON Quenchant HT as “FM Approved” as tested against the latest testing criteria.
- The optimum operating conditions for a specific metal or part may be determined by control of concentration, bath temperature, and/or agitation.
- UCON Quenchant HT minimizes dragout because of its higher resolutioning temperature. The major make-up requirement is for water lost by evaporation.
- UCON Quenchant HT eliminates the smoke, soot and residues common to oil quenchants. Equipment maintenance and plant cleanliness are easier to achieve and maintain.
- UCON Quenchant HT is soluble in water and is resistant to bacterial growth.
- UCON Quenchant HT will freeze below 0°C (32°F). It should be thawed to room temperature and mixed before use. The product will not be affected in any way
- Hardening large alloy parts from tilt-top furnaces that previously required an oil quench.
- Hardening forged parts that are quenched directly where higher bath temperatures are required.
- Integral-quench furnaces requiring carburizing atmospheres. Atmosphere furnaces containing chute quenching systems